Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Pobre en Pucon

(Pucon, Chile)
So I´m still slowly making my way north. I´ve arrived in this very expensive, touristy town. I'm waiting for the delivery of my bank card, so I have to stay here at least until that arrives. Luckily I still have some emergency travelers checks, which yield an even worse exchange rate than cash. Speaking of which, what the heck are you doing back there (in the U.S.)? I swear a month ago I was getting almost 500 pesos for a dollar and today I got 450. Why am I losing 10 cents on every dollar? Every day my balance, in pesos, seems to get smaller without my even spending anything.

I went to the beach here yesterday on the lake. There were more people than grains of sand. Definitley not my onda. Great for swimsuit watching, but not great for relaxing when a me-sized piece of sand is even hard to come by. But the water was great. Today I took a bus over to the next town, the next lake, the next beach in Caburgua and found a little bit of solitude. Here is a picture of the main beach area. Unfortunately I must have gotten the camera wet or something because all of the pictures seem to come out like this now. Hopefully it will get better. Any tips?

Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, I'm going to attempt to climb this volcano, Volcan Villarica. I've never done anything like that before, and it is apparently what you have to do here if you're a backpacking kind of person. We leave at 4 AM and it should take a good part of the day. I hope I'm up to the challenge. I walk a lot, but not up mountains, and never in snow. So check here in a couple of days and you might see some blurry photos from the top of that thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oy! is that actual smoke coming out of the volcano, or is that a stray cloud??

Anonymous said...

por curao te pasa ,,,andai too mutilao por gastarte toa la plata en chelas....

Vernie said...

Hello DAn and Lou
Que buen viaje se pegaron, los envido,pero envidia de la buena.
Que lugares mas bonitos han conocido
Abrazos de tu hermano en Tiquicia