Monday, January 28, 2008

Parque Oncol

(Valdivia, Chile)

Other than laundry, I didn't know what I was going to do today, but fate solved that problem when I realized that I had left my cash card in a machine a few days ago. So I've spent
the day trying to figure out what that means for my life. I think I've got it under control now, but I was kind of a mess this morning. On the bright side, I got to practice Spanish with a lot of people today with whom I wouldn't normally have contact.

Yesterday I took a little excursion to Parque Oncol, a private reserve an hour from here. I had a nice hike in the woods, listening to crazy bird calls, trying not to squish lizards sunning themselves in the path. Reaching the top. I could see the sea and the andean foothills. On a clear day, one would be able to see 8 different volcanoes. I could barely make out two. Still, I was reminded that this really is on the ring of fire. Did you know that the biggest earthquake ever recorded (9.5) was around here in 1960?


On one short path I heard a low buzzing sound and realized there were hummingbirds zooming back and forth. So, as a good bird watcher, I stood perfectly still. When they didn't run away, I ventured to take take out my camera. It's pretty hard to take a picture of a hummingbird in flight, but they kept flying closer and closer so I got a couple of good shots. I was thinking, "wow, these are some friendly creatures", buzzing around my head. Then I turned to my right and saw that less than a foot from my right ear was nest, with two eggs in it. That explained things. I moved on and the mama bird landed in the nest and gave me what can only be described as a dirty look.




View from highest point in Oncol. That's Valdivia behind those rivers and islands. Kind of a foggy place.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great h-bird pix.
"Friendly", huh?