Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Isla Chiloe Tourism

(Castro, Isla Chiloe, Chile ) http://www.chiloeweb.com/chwb/chiloeisland/general_mapa_chiloe.html It's nice that during the day everyone else is out doing stuff, so I am able to hog the computer in this hostel. I'm going take advantage of this time to write a short entry about Chileo and what I did this morning.

Someone told me that Chiloe looks a lot like Ireland. An island, rolling hills, rain, nice people with a history of isolation, green, green green. I was asking around for opinions of what I should do here today. I asked about the national park, but when they mentioned big mosquitos I decided against it. I was a pretty good tourist today though, doing what everyone does when they come to Chiloe, look at the old wooden churches. That's the big thing this island is famous for. There is a distinct syle to them, and they are almost entirely wooden. The one from yesterday's blog was not so pretty on the outside but beautifully burnished wood on the inside. That´s kind of how they are - weather beaten exteriors. My first stop was the town of Dalcahue, where I checked out this church, then caught a ferry over to the next island.




Then a bus took me to the town of Achao, where I visited the oldest of Chiloe's churches, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Sorry I couldn't take flash photos inside, but you can kind of get the idea. Believe it or not, this sucker was built without any nails. The used tongue and groove for the siding and roof, and wooden pegs to hold the rest together.

I used a combination of bus and thumb to get back to Castro. I figured that I might as well hitch while I'm still in a safe region to do so. Plus I get to practice my Spanish with strangers.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In this church, what are thosebig round silver sunlamp-like looking things along the outer aisles?? Just reading lights or what? Looks pretty light in there already, so I was wondering.

written by: Louann Terveer said...

Wow, there are some nasty creatures that live there (http://www.chiloeweb.com/chwb/chiloeisland/tem_gen_mitologia.html) watch out for la fiura!

written by: Louann Terveer said...

http://www.chiloeweb.com/chwb/
chiloeisland/general_mapa_chiloe.html

written by: Louann Terveer said...

oops! + mitologia

Dan and Lou said...

You're right mom. Those are just lights, i suppose for reading hymnals. i happened to be there on a sunny day, but i think those are not very common and they need those lights to keep the tourists coming.

Lou I also read a little about all the legendary beasts, witches, and ghosts in Chiloe. There was one witch who vomits up her innards every night to be able to fly better. I stuck to well-lit streets and avoided people with brooms.