Thursday, January 24, 2008

Itchy

Although I’m sure my Spanish has improved a bit this year, I never really had much time or opportunity for formal study. I originally came to Valdivia with this goal. I figured that it was a college town and I’d have no trouble finding a teacher. That hasn’t been the case. I found one person to do language exchange with. Still, I can use this time to study on my own, but I’m having trouble concentrating. I think this is due to the number of insect bites I have on my body, that I suspect come from the bed in which I have been sleeping the past two nights. I’ve already paid for a week so I might just have to deal with it, as uncomfortable as I am. Does anyone have any anti-bedbug suggestions? Why oh why did I leave Coyhaique?

Valdivia is a town on a bunch of rivers that meet the ocean nearby. It was founded in 15-something, but was burned to the ground a few times by the local mapuche. Eventually the Spanish gave up on the port, but was recolonized by the Germans.

Yesterday I took a bus out to the coast to Molinos, Niebla and Isla Mancera to visit the old fortresses that were built to protect against pirates. I also spent some quality beach time, getting some sun and swimming in the bay.

Sorry. I would write more but I’m having a hard time sitting still with all my itchies. Take a look at some pics from my day trip.


Cannons at Fuerte Niebla, one of 18 fortresses in the bay.











This is what I looked like before being covered in itchy welts.

1 comment:

written by: Louann Terveer said...

I think I speak for all us Minnesotans when I say, "Wow, skin!" I guess that's what the bugs are saying, too. You found the hydrocortisone cream I hope...