Wednesday, March 5, 2008

So much closer to home

(Bogota, Colombia)
Greetings from Shakiralandia! I don’t even think I’m halfway through the trip home, but I am bored and spending way too much money to use the internet at the airport. It turned out I only had four hours to kill here, but still I had to get out and see (taste) Colombia. Unfortunately the only near option was a cab ride to a shopping mall. So I went for it. I found the food court of my dreams. It looked like any old food court at a mall I suppose, but every place had food preparations I had never seen before. I think only one place even sold hot dogs. If I were in Chile, that is just about all you would find. A lot of meat, but also beans, rice, arepas. I got something I have been excited about ever since I heard of it two days ago. Ajiaco is a chicken potato soup that comes with a side of sour cream and a side of capers to throw in, as well as rice and half an avocado. It was a tasty trip to the mall. I know I just ate on the plane and I will have to eat on the next one too, but I was just so excited. I almost bought some street fare as well. There was a big ball of fried yucca, called a besito I think, that was very tempting. But I resisted. I did indulge in a an espresso though. I am in Juan Valdez country. Ohh I had forgotten how much I love coffee. I have been suffering with Chilean instant Nescafe, or avoiding it altogether, preferring tea or mate. But this was really good. Cab ride back to airport, some money exchanging (its so weird by the way, to switch currency for a few hours, never quite getting the grasp of it)and a VERY thorough security check. Flight is supposed to leave in 20 minuites so i suppose i should go. Despite the rain, I think Bogota is a place to come back to some day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

que onda en colombia no te dijieron " Lleve de la buena!! "??? jajajajaja