Monday, March 3, 2008

Go back




I was just out walking and shopping. There is a back-to-school frenzy happening. My hostel is in a university neighborhood and every school is out trying to promote enrollment, handing out flyers that everyone immediately throws away.

The other night I stayed over at the house of one of Sergio's buddies. I didn't expect that would happen when we met at a pub downtown that evening, but I'm learning to go with the flow more often. Rigid gringo-ness doesn't have much application on Friday night. Besides, I had no idea where I was and they got seriously offended when I said I wanted to catch a bus back home, which turned out would've been difficult at night anyway.

Yesterday I rested and watched TV, ate Chinese food. I got a bit homesick watching a movie I had never heard of called Juno. I'm curious to find out just how "out-of-it" I am in turns of popular culture. I already run into travelers who make cultural references that I just don't get, having been pretty much out of it for year. Louann has mentioned the disconnect, not just in pop culture, but in culture at large, that I can expect upon returning but won't understand until I experience it.

I leave pretty early Wednesday, 6 hour layover in Bogota, then spend 10 hours in Miami. Should be about 27 hours in all. Don't expect to see me out partying for a little while after that.

2 comments:

shallwedave said...

good luck with the long trip.

¡Viva not getting your luggage lost!

impresion said...

bueno compadre nos veremos en los happy hours con el marrano!!!!