Monday, February 4, 2008

What´s the temp in Temuco?

(Temuco, Chile)
Yesterday it got up to 31C. I think that's close to 90F.

So I stayed in Pucon for a couple days longer than I expected. I met a nice gringo my age to hang out with. He showed up at the hostel and I invited him to go on a bike ride with me. We made our introductions and he said ,"You're from Minnesota, huh? I went through there when I biked across the country." So, the day after climbing a volcano I had to keep up with that guy for 50km, a good part of it was dirt and mushy gravel. But eventually we arrived at the waterfall, of which I have no pictures. Picture volcanic ash mixed with water in a series of 5 or 6 falls. Even though I suppose it was technically clean, we couldn't get ourselves to drink the grey water. We couldn't swim either because it was so slippery from the ash and rocks. But on the way out, the caretakers gave us water, sold us some bread and then gave us some nourishing fresh cow milk for energy on the ride home. After those two days, the most ambitious thing i could do was swim a little in the lake.

Pucon was really expensive and touristy. So Yesterday I came to Temuco. It feels a lot like Menoza for some reason. I´m trying to get things done here. My camera is being looked at by a guy at an auto shop (yeah it sounds strange but you do what you have to), I'm looking for plane tickets, buying supplies. I'll be here a couple days I think. I plan to get to Concepcion by the end of the week so I can find an all-night internet place from which to participate in the annual trivia contest. http://www.kvsc.org/ Let me know if you want to join Louann and the team that is playing from my parents´ house. It's a good time and we need as many people as we can get.

Time for me to go and check with the camera fix-it guy. I hope last entry isn't the last one with photos.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen any 3 legged pigs for sale? I hear they are good luck.

Anonymous said...

Haha. I could use a three-legged pig. But I'm afriad its too late for my camera.