Sunday, February 24, 2008

Futbol fields of Argentina and Chile

(Santiago, Chile)

















A dirt soccer field in Cartagena, Chile. I was staying in one of those houses on the hill on the left.

So here are some of my scenic soccer fields. Maybe I was just missing being one of the worst players on the worst soccer team, in the lowest bracket of a recreational league in a country not known for soccer, but for awhile whenever we went somewhere, I was obsessed with taking pictures of soccer fields in exotic locations. They will put a field in any old place that is flat, which is sometimes hard to come by in the Andes. But this may be one reason why Argentines have world class soccer teams. Chile, on the other hand, has soccer fields everywhere too, but their team... They are still waiting to beat Argentina some day. Unfortunately, I was rarely able to catch people playing on the fields when I had the camera handy.



You can see one of the goals in the grass with Volcan Puntiagudo in the background. Its hard to take a good picture from a moving bus. The volcano is in Chile, but I'm pretty sure I was in Argentina when I took the picture.










Ischigualasto park (Valley of the moon) in Argentina.














Looks like one of the junior soccer teams practicing at Andes Talleres Athletic Club in Godoy Cruz (Mendoza), Argentina. I'm told that this club is better known for its basketball team.












Improvised soccer field in a courtyard at the public works building in Mendoza.















Parque San Martin in Mendoza contains a few fields and stadiums. This is the largest of them, Estadio Islas Malvinas, where I went to a few games.













Valle Fertil, Argentina. If this town is named Fertile Valley, you can imagine what the surrounding area looks like.
















La Costanera in Puerto Madryn, Argentina.
















La Bonbonera, home stadium of Boca Juniors in Buenos Aires.















Smaller version of the above, also in La Boca, Buenos Aires.















Lago Petrohue, Chile. That might actually be Volcan Puntiagudo seen from the other side.















Near Las Vegas, Argentina.
















El Bolson, Argentina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all the photos of soccer fields, especially The Valley of the Moon. Those rough fields are probably real good for learning ball control, and may explain my poor footwork.

Administrador said...

Very good concept.