Monday, February 18, 2008

Post beach wrapup

(Santiago, Chile)
I'm back in Santiago after spending a good part of the week with Sergio's sister's inlaws. Soon after I wrote that last entry, three more people came to join the party. That made 14 people in a 4 bedrooms house with paper thin walls and ONE bathroom. But we all got along just fine, eating in shifts, bathing irregularly. This family is terribly buena onda. Of course sometimes there were more than just the 14 of us, neighbors, other family members, a ten year old girl who had a crush on me (she always wanted to meet a gringo).

We did a couple beach trips, one over to Isla Negra, where there was impressive surf-on-rocks action. In Cartagena proper, even though it is a very popular beach, I'm pretty sure I was the only gringo. I was in a town that is overlooked by all the guide books and I like it that way. But now I'm staying in the mega hostel Casa Roja, where everyone speaks English. The only thing that drew me back here was that I've been thinking about their swimming pool for the past two months. Sergio and Mariano are on their way over right now to visit me (drink wine cooler by the pool). Don't hate on me just because you're sleeping with a hat in Minnesota. I swear that I too have been suffering, but from some wicked allergic reactions to the local mosquitos. After a few weeks of distracting pain, i finally got some anti-hystemine pills which help with the itches.

I'm generally just playing it by ear from now on. I don't have any grand plans for traveling very far from here.




Sergio and Mariano share a special moment in Isla Negra.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Yo Dan - When I Googled 'buena onda' the you-tube video results did not help the translation. So, thank you.

Wendy B said...

I look at Condorito, and all I can think of is...Spuds MacKenzie.