Saturday, October 6, 2007

another bus ride

Dan: After more than half a year in the country, we've finally made it to Buenos Aires. We took a couple days off of work and made a four-day weekend for ourselves. This may have been one of the worst bus rides yet. Not because it was 14 hours long, or because the only book I brought was of boring Argeintine essays, or because both the man in front of us and the man in back of us snored. The worst of all was that the only movie shown on the entire trip was an Olsen Twins film about a crazy road trip. If one could punch a movie in the face, I would surely do it after the two hours of torture it put me through. I hope we have better luck on the return trip. At least I found copy of El Gran Gatsby to read on the way back. Tht's one wonderful thing about hostels; they usually have a small library in which you can trade books. In some ways its better than going to a book store, because at a book store the choices are too great. When there are only a few dozen books, and many of them are in languages you can't read, you can't be too picky. As a result, we've ended up reading things we wouldn't normally choose. On the other hand, I have a suspicion that a large part of the book exchanges involve people abandoning books they never got into. A couple times I've given up on books in Spanish that are either too hard for me or just too heavy for me the read on a trip. I trade them in for Tom Clancy or sci-fi books. But I'll be working on F. Scott Fitzgerald in Spanish tomorrow. The Argentine essays are staying here.

In a few days we'll write some more about our trip and include some of the 4,000 pictures we've taken.

No comments: