Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Text messages

Lou: Here is one for you Spanish speakers or avid text message users! I am pretty oblivious to the text and email shorthand that abounds in English. Well, I guess that it makes sense that text and email users everywhere are creating a new shorthand language. Check out this text message that I received from an acquaintance as a response to my message asking her if she would like to get together sometime:


Hola!Me encataria te aviso, xq maƱana rindo 1parcial y sta semana stoy a full xq me atrase xq viaje el find semana pasado. Y parece q el prox viajo al sur


I had Dan help me decipher it! Notice the use of xq for porque and q for que. Why not just type in the “e” in esta or estoy? I have no idea. Do you get it? So it appears that tomorrow she has some kind of test and this week she is busy (“a full”) because she is behind because she traveled last weekend.


Food: Chimichurri, its not just for Disney songs anymore... Chimichurri comes as a dry seasoning mix to rub into meat or as a vinegary condiment. The one we bought includes: water, vinegar, hot pepper, oregano, garlic, red pepper parsley, pepper, and some preservatives. We weren’t too fond of it at first, but once Dan started making himself a steak every once in a while, he decided it really was great with meat. We’ve also found that, with a little help, we can use it is like Salsa Lizano for making Costa Rican style beans and rice.

No comments: