Monday, February 19, 2007

is that snow?

Dan: The news programs are still talking about the unexpected summer rains. I guess it hasn’t happened in 40 years. Up in the mountains this rain became summer snow. They keep showing footage of campers’ tents covered in snow. I didn’t realize that cold rain in Santiago meant snow in the higher altitudes until we were crossing Avenida Provedencia, on the way to a movie. The rain had removed all the crap from the air. Crossing the street, I happened to look to my right, and saw the snow-covered mountains behind the city skyline. It took me a few seconds to register what I was seeing and tap Louann on the shoulder and point at the Andes. The Andes! We managed to get out of the street before we stopped to stare at the awesome sight of snow-covered peaks and clear skies.

Food: Empanadas are homemade Hot Pockets®. They come in baked and fried varieties. The most common kinds seem to be cheese and Pino. What is Pino? The first day we were in Chile, Lou wasn’t feeling so hot and requested that I find something bready to eat. I wandered until I found a bakery. Mmmm, Empanadas. Being a little out of practice with the Spanish, and just very excited to be in a foreign land ordering food, I mistook pino for the word piña, which I always knew as pineapple. Louann took a bite or two and realized that it was definitely not pineapple. Pino is an empanada filled with ground beef, an olive and a slice of hard boiled egg --- three things Louann does not particularly care for. We traded empanadas.

No comments: