Sunday, December 23, 2007

Calurosa Navidad



I'm at 45 degrees 34 minutes latitude south. About equivalent to Verndale, MN in the north I suppose. It's Dec 24th and I'm wearing shorts and sandals. it gets pretty cold at night, but all the days have been sunny since I got here.

We are like 6 adults, 3 kids and a baby in Sergio´s uncle Jaime's house. It gets a little crowded at times, but no one seems to mind having an extra gringo around. In fact, I'm the one who is having to change from solo mission to suddenly having crying or giggling kids, and constantly joking adults around. I don't get the humor many times, every family has inside jokes, and often I don´t get what they are even saying. There is so much chile-specific spanish usage that i need some time to agarrar la onda (catch on), as well as get to know the family and the system here. For example, meals are different here. Light breakfast, big lunch, then a light something called "onces (elevenses)" in the evening.

Sergio and many of his people here have been working at the local art fair. Watercolor paintings, hats, painted statues. After today, things should get back to normalish and I´ll see what that means. As it is, the schedule has been pretty unusual, as more crafts are produced to meet demand for the next day. I too have been put to work putting primer coating on religious statuettes. I'm trying to catch up on sleep from the bus hell, but still staying up til 3am.

Everyone in the house has been singing this song so I thought I’d pass it on to you. It’s about Christmas in a warm climate. It’s from an amazing Chilean kids show called 31 Minutos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hay! calurosa navidad! Voy a cantar el cancion por todo el dia!